Friday, January 16, 2009

the meme project

The web is like one enormous itching ear: people hear you talking about them.

So here I am, creating my own little online journal which nobody reads but SOMEDAY, when I'm famous, people will come to visit the cabin where it all began - essentially, writing for the discipline it gives, getting the stuff down, like putting up ripe fruit: in the winter, when you need a reminder of what summer is, there it is. A jar of pears. But the web lets Mary Soderstrom know that I've jotted some notes about her book, and she decides to include me in an ... experiment.

To be honest, I'm not sure I get the concept beyond allowing people to introduce their blogging friends to other blogging friends. In the event that it turns out that I've actually participated in some anti-government activity, let me say this here: I had no idea.

I'm doing it because one doesn't decline an invitation from royalty. Royalty being, in this case, someone whose previous book, Green City, was judged by the Toronto Globe and Mail to be one of the best books of 2007.
I'm doing it because I'm curious about what happens when parties collide: the one that's happening in my brain (though now that I think about who's actually there, it doesn't seem like a party so much as a meeting of those intent on pulling the world back from the edge of the abyss - so, yes, now I am, in a way, participating in an anti-government activity. At least the previous American government.) with the one in someone else's brain. Will love erupt? Or fisticuffs? Or discreet checking of the time?
I'm doing this because I really like the writing I've read, and think it deserves to be read more.

This is how it goes:

1. finger the one what got you into dis mess. (noted above)

2. post the rules (something akin to onomatopoeia about this)

3. write six random things about yourself.

Well, setting aside the questions I have about randomness and writing -
a. I have a lobster trap at the front door.
b. I'm married to the first woman ordained in the denomination we serve.
c. I have decided that the Green Zebra is the world's best tasting tomato. I haven't tasted them all, but I can't imagine one better.
d. I really enjoy walking. Even in bad weather.
e. I drive a school bus for now. (See? That's what I mean about randomness: how can the juxtaposition of two such statements be seen as random?)
f. I come from a long line of cheap people. My great uncle used baler twine to keep his pants up.

4. Tag six bloggers.

Paul Szydlowski - my neighbor and fellow garage band member

Valerie Taylor - moderates a herd of several hundred locavores in Cincinnati

Eric Fredericks - a nice blog on community/walkability in Sacramento

Daniel Meeter
- one of my pastoral mentors

James K. A. Smith - professor of philosophy at my alma mater, and renaissance guy

Scott Cullen - just found him. Needed six. Guess that makes him goalie.

5. Tell the six that they've been tagged.

Have a look.

1 comment:

valereee said...

Interesting experiment! I'm trying to figure out how to participate in a way that still fits into my blog...which I guess sort of filters the randomness. Or does it remove it altogether?